• The Bowers & Wilkins
P5's sound overall is very smooth, refined with just a touch
of warmth. Dynamically they are very solid, though I have heard better,
however the P5's performance is all about balance where no one area is
allowed to overpower or outshine another.
• While not noise canceling, the P5s are noise isolating, which I
prefer for it allows you to become immersed in your music experience
without the pitfalls of being completely isolated, sound wise, from the
world around you.
• The P5's sound great with properly recorded music, as do most
higher-end headphones, however the P5s aren't afraid of lower
resolution downloads making them far more versatile for today's real
• The control device located on the P5's cable is extremely functional
without being cumbersome the way other on-cable controllers can be.
• I would've liked to see the P5 come with a slightly longer cable.
While long enough to wear with your portable device tucked away in your
front pocket, those of you looking to hide your iPod in your back
pocket or backpack may be out of luck. Thankfully you can change the
cable on the P5s fairly easily, but I still would've liked to have seen
a longer cable out of the box.
• The Bowers & Wilkins P5s, out of the box, do take a bit of time to break in and sound
their best. Likewise can be said for their leather headband and ear
pads. Plan on spending a few hours listening in short burst for
everything to loosen up and sound just right.
While $299.95 is hardly cheap by today's standards the P5s are far from
the most expensive headphones out there today. While you can definitely
find headphones for cheap, they're not going to hold a candle in terms
of sound quality and style to the P5 headphones from Bowers &
Wilkins. Likewise, you can very easily spend more but I would question
why, for the P5s sound utterly fantastic once broken in and while their
maybe other headphones that do one or two things differently, on
balance I'm not sure it gets better. At least I haven't heard it yet.
The P5 headphones from Bowers & Wilkins are my new favorite
headphones, upsetting two long time favorites from the likes of Bang
& Olufsen and Sennheiser, both of which I have owned for many
years. The P5's look better, sound better and simply feel better than
any headphone I've had the privilege of owning for an extended period
of time. I simply love these headphones.
• Read more reviews of headphones by HomeTheaterReview.com.
• See the award HomeTheaterReview.com gave to the Bowers & Wilkins P5 headphones.
• Buy the B&W P5 headphones.