• The BDP-140 supports 3D playback
• It supports BD-Live and BonusView Blu-ray features.
• It has internal decoding and bitstream output of high-resolution audio sources, and it can play SACDs.
• The Web platform includes Netflix, Pandora, Picasa
, and YouTube, and DLNA media streaming is supported.
The BDP-140 features Pioneer's Sound Retriever Link and Stream Smoother
Link to improve the quality of compressed audio and video sources.Low Points
This model lacks dual HDMI outputs, component video output, and
multichannel analog audio output, so it's not the best choice for
someone who owns older home theater equipment.
• The BDP-140 doesn't come with integrated WiFi or a USB WiFi adapter.
• Pioneer's Web platform isn't as extensive or customizable as some of its competitors.
• The BDP-140 doesn't offer 2D-to-3D conversion or any advanced adjustment options for the 3D image.
• The player lacks internal memory and RS-232.
Competition and Comparison
Compare the Pioneer BDP-140 with its
competition by reading the reviews for the Sharp BD-HP25U
and Toshiba BDX5200
Learn more about 3D-capable Blu-ray Players by visiting our Blu-ray
Slowly but surely, the price of Pioneer's Blu-ray
players is coming in line with the competition. For a street price under
$200, the BDP-140 offers 3D capability, a Web platform with Netflix,
DLNA media streaming, SACD playback, and a smartphone control app. Where
the company's players continue to fall short is in their WiFi support.
Pioneer does not offer integrated WiFi or a supplied adapter with any of
its networkable players, even the pricier Elite models. According to
the BDP-140's user guide, you can mate this player with Pioneer's
AS-WL300 USB WiFi adapter, which is designed for use with the company's
network-friendly receivers; however, at around $150, that adapter costs
almost as much as this player. Admittedly, you can find "universal" USB
WiFi adapters for under $50; and, if you have no need for a WiFi
connection, this is a non-issue. All in all, the BDP-140 is a logical
companion piece for a new Pioneer A/V receiver at a reasonable price.Additional Resources
• Read more Blu-ray player reviews
written by Home Theater Review's staff.
• Look for a 3D-capable TV in our 3D HDTV Review section