Search Reviews By Category
Yamaha YSP-1400 Soundbar Reviewed
Five star value from Myron Ho on this more entry-level soundbar from Yamaha starts the discussion of audiophile soundbars versus TV-improvement speakers. Read More
Episode 500 Series Thin Design Three-Channel Passive Soundbar
The Episode 500 separates itself from the soundbar pack with a less conventional design that makes a big difference when compared to other soundbars. Read More
Sony HT-ST7 Soundbar Reviewed
The Sony HT-ST7 from Sony joins the already crowded sound bar market. How does it fare? It's worth a listen, according to Adrienne Maxwell. Read More
Sonos Playbar Soundbar Reviewed
Sonos is a name many have heard of. They are well-known and well-advertised. But how do the company's products actually sound? Brian Kahn tests out the Sonos Playbar soundbar to find out. Read More
Home Theater Review's Best of 2013 Awards
It's that time of year again. The HomeTheaterReview.com staff has discussed all the products reviewed over the year and decided which ones rated the best. Check out our list of the best of 2013. Read More
Paradigm Soundtrack System Soundbar and Wireless Subwoofer Reviewed
Soundbars are popular and definitely an upgrade over a television's speakers, but beyond that mileage varies greatly. Jerry Del Colliano tries out Paradigm's Soundtrack System to see where it falls in the mix. Read More
Polk SurroundBar 9000 Soundbar Reviewed
Active soundbars can be a tricky bunch when it comes to performing under all the circumstances your system may demand: movie, television, and music playback. Adrienne Maxwell tests out the Polk SurroundBar 9000 soundbar under just such demands. Read More
GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array Soundbar Reviewed
GoldenEar challenges the soundbar market with the company's SuperCinema 3D array soundbar. Adrienne Maxwell puts the SuperCinema soundbar to the test to see if it is a worthy competitor. Read More
Vizio S4251w-B4 Soundbar and Wireless Sub Reviewed
Vizio claims to offer products that perform as well, if not better, than their more expensive counterparts for a much lower price. Darryl Wilkinson tests that idea out with this review of the Vizio S4251w-B4 soundbar. Read More
Bowers & Wilkins Panorama 2 Soundbar Reviewed
The soundbars is a product category that requires compromise by its very nature. Andrew Robinson tests out the Bowers & Wilkins Panorama 2 to see how much or how little has been compromised. Read More
Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR 5.1 Soundbar and Wireless Subwoofer
Soundbars continue to evolve, bringing better performance and more features, but there are still reasons to be skeptical. For those reason's Alex Lezcano approached his review of the Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR soundbar with skepticism. Read More
Sound Bar Wiki1.0 What is a Sound Bar?
2.0 What Does a Sound Bar Do?
1.0 What is a Sound Bar?
• A sound bar is a relatively new audio/video component designed to be an all-in-one speaker system that compliments the audio needs of today's flat HDTVs. Sound bars are normally placed below or directly in front of an HDTV. They are also frequently mounted on a wall, often using included mounting hardware.
• A sound bar can include three speakers (left, center and right), a built-in receiver complete with surround sound and DSP features. Sometimes sound bars come complete with a DVD player installed in the chassis.
2.0 What Does a Sound Bar Do?
• Sound bars can reproduce relatively convincing discrete or matrixed surround sound for both music and movies.
• Sound bars often use DSP (digital signal processing) to add the sonic effect of surround from just three speakers.
• It's not uncommon for sound bars to be connected to a subwoofer to add low-frequency performance to a modest home theater system.
• Some users install rear and/or side channel speakers to allow for discrete surround sound.
• Many full-feature sound bars include many or all of the functionalities of an AV receiver, including HDMI switching, signal processing, satellite radio and terrestrial radio receivers.