Search Reviews By Category
Home Theater Review's Best of 2016 Awards
It's the most wonderful time of the year. Nope, not the holidays. It's time for Home Theater Review's annual best-of list, where we highlight the best products we've reviewed in the past 12 months. Whether you're looking for the pinnacle... Read More
VIZIO SB4551-D5 5.1-Channel Soundbar System Reviewed
Adrienne Maxwell auditions VIZIO's SB4551-D5 soundbar system, which features a powered three-channel soundbar, an 8-inch subwoofer, and dedicated surrounds in a petite package. Read More
Atlantic Technology 3.1 HSB H-PAS TV Speaker Base System Reviewed
Dennis Burger explores Atlantic Technology's 3.1 HSB speaker base, which combines a passive three-channel L/C/R soundbar with a powered bass unit and the company's H-PAS technology to improve low-frequency response. Read More
Home Theater Review's Best of 2015 Awards
It's that time of year again--time for the HomeTheaterReview.com staff to pick the products that we feel represent the best of the best from all of our 2015 reviews. We've covered a variety of categories and price points. See if your faves made the list. Read More
GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array XL Soundbar Reviewed
Brian Kahn reviews one of GoldenEar's second-generation SuperCinema 3D Array soundbars. The XL model is a passive L/C/R soundbar that's designed to be mated with larger, 65-inch-plus TVs. Read More
Cambridge Audio TV2 Speaker Base Reviewed
Sean Killebrew explores the TV2 speaker base from Cambridge Audio, which is designed to sit under your TV and provide a higher-quality audio experience than you'll get from your TV speakers or a basic soundbar. Read More
Focal Dimension Soundbar and Subwoofer Reviewed
Sean Killebrew reviews Focal's 450-watt, five-channel Dimension soundbar and its optional passive subwoofer, a combination that presents a few setup challenges but delivers big on performance. Read More
Home Theater Review's Best of 2014 Awards
Home Theater Review presents its Best of 2014 Awards. We've surveyed all the products reviewed over the past year and selected the ones we think are the most compelling. Check out our list and see if your 2014 favorites made the grade. Read More
Sonance SB46 Passive Soundbar Reviewed
Brent Butterworth sheds light on the new Sonance SB46 soundbar. Unlike most soundbars, this one can extend to fit your TV. Is it a must-have feature or a neat gimmick? Read on to find out. Read More
OSD Audio SP2.1 Sound Platform
Not quite a speaker, not quite a sound bar, the OSD Audio SP2.1 Sound Platform takes up very little space beneath your television. But does it make the compromise worthwhile and deliver quality audio. You might be surprised . . . Read More
Onkyo LS-T10 EnvisionCinema TV Speaker System
Soundbars and pedestal speaker systems have become increasingly popular in home theater applications because of their space-saving, cost-saving, and ease of use. Convenience is king when it comes to these designs. The subject of today's review is one of Onkyo's... Read More
Sound Bar Wiki1.0 What is a Sound Bar?
2.0 What Does a Sound Bar Do?
1.0 What is a Sound Bar?
• A sound bar is a relatively new audio/video component designed to be an all-in-one speaker system that compliments the audio needs of today's flat HDTVs. Sound bars are normally placed below or directly in front of an HDTV. They are also frequently mounted on a wall, often using included mounting hardware.
• A sound bar can include three speakers (left, center and right), a built-in receiver complete with surround sound and DSP features. Sometimes sound bars come complete with a DVD player installed in the chassis.
2.0 What Does a Sound Bar Do?
• Sound bars can reproduce relatively convincing discrete or matrixed surround sound for both music and movies.
• Sound bars often use DSP (digital signal processing) to add the sonic effect of surround from just three speakers.
• It's not uncommon for sound bars to be connected to a subwoofer to add low-frequency performance to a modest home theater system.
• Some users install rear and/or side channel speakers to allow for discrete surround sound.
• Many full-feature sound bars include many or all of the functionalities of an AV receiver, including HDMI switching, signal processing, satellite radio and terrestrial radio receivers.