Search Reviews By Category
GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array XL Soundbar Reviewed
Brian Kahn reviews one of GoldenEar's second-generation SuperCinema 3D Array soundbars. The XL model is a passive L/C/R soundbar that's designed to be mated with larger, 65-inch-plus TVs. Read More
Cambridge Audio TV2 Speaker Base Reviewed
Sean Killebrew explores the TV2 speaker base from Cambridge Audio, which is designed to sit under your TV and provide a higher-quality audio experience than you'll get from your TV speakers or a basic soundbar. Read More
Focal Dimension Soundbar and Subwoofer Reviewed
Sean Killebrew reviews Focal's 450-watt, five-channel Dimension soundbar and its optional passive subwoofer, a combination that presents a few setup challenges but delivers big on performance. Read More
Home Theater Review's Best of 2014 Awards
Home Theater Review presents its Best of 2014 Awards. We've surveyed all the products reviewed over the past year and selected the ones we think are the most compelling. Check out our list and see if your 2014 favorites made the grade. Read More
Sonance SB46 Passive Soundbar Reviewed
Brent Butterworth sheds light on the new Sonance SB46 soundbar. Unlike most soundbars, this one can extend to fit your TV. Is it a must-have feature or a neat gimmick? Read on to find out. Read More
OSD Audio SP2.1 Sound Platform
Not quite a speaker, not quite a sound bar, the OSD Audio SP2.1 Sound Platform takes up very little space beneath your television. But does it make the compromise worthwhile and deliver quality audio. You might be surprised . . . Read More
Onkyo LS-T10 EnvisionCinema TV Speaker System
Soundbars and pedestal speaker systems have become increasingly popular in home theater applications because of their space-saving, cost-saving, and ease of use. Convenience is king when it comes to these designs. The subject of today's review is one of Onkyo's... Read More
Monitor Audio ASB-2 Soundbar
Darryl Wilkinson has trouble finding fault with one of the best sound bars currently available. Even without a subwoofer it delivers the "theatrical sound" without all the speakers and wires. Read More
Yamaha YSP-1400 Soundbar Reviewed
Five star value from Myron Ho on this more entry-level soundbar from Yamaha starts the discussion of audiophile soundbars versus TV-improvement speakers. Read More
Episode 500 Series Thin Design Three-Channel Passive Soundbar
The Episode 500 separates itself from the soundbar pack with a less conventional design that makes a big difference when compared to other soundbars. Read More
Sony HT-ST7 Soundbar Reviewed
The Sony HT-ST7 from Sony joins the already crowded sound bar market. How does it fare? It's worth a listen, according to Adrienne Maxwell. Read More
Sound Bar Wiki1.0 What is a Sound Bar?
2.0 What Does a Sound Bar Do?
1.0 What is a Sound Bar?
• A sound bar is a relatively new audio/video component designed to be an all-in-one speaker system that compliments the audio needs of today's flat HDTVs. Sound bars are normally placed below or directly in front of an HDTV. They are also frequently mounted on a wall, often using included mounting hardware.
• A sound bar can include three speakers (left, center and right), a built-in receiver complete with surround sound and DSP features. Sometimes sound bars come complete with a DVD player installed in the chassis.
2.0 What Does a Sound Bar Do?
• Sound bars can reproduce relatively convincing discrete or matrixed surround sound for both music and movies.
• Sound bars often use DSP (digital signal processing) to add the sonic effect of surround from just three speakers.
• It's not uncommon for sound bars to be connected to a subwoofer to add low-frequency performance to a modest home theater system.
• Some users install rear and/or side channel speakers to allow for discrete surround sound.
• Many full-feature sound bars include many or all of the functionalities of an AV receiver, including HDMI switching, signal processing, satellite radio and terrestrial radio receivers.