• The BD-A1010 supports 3D playback
, as well as SACD and DVD-Audio.
• It supports BD-Live and BonusView/PIP.
• It features internal decoding and bitstream output of high-resolution audio, plus multichannel analog audio outputs.
• You can access Netflix, Blockbuster, YouTube, and content stored on a DLNA media server.
• The back panel has RS-232 and remote input/output.
• The setup menu includes advanced picture adjustments.
• An iPhone control app is available.Low Points
• This model does not include dual HDMI outputs to send separate signals to your 3DTV and A/V receiver.
• The player doesn't come with integrated WiFi or a USB WiFi adapter.
• The Web platform isn't as robust or customizable as you'll find elsewhere.
• The BD-A1010 doesn't offer 2D-to-3D conversion or any advanced 3D image adjustments.
• The player lacks internal memory to store BD-Live content.
Competition and Comparison
The "universal disc player" genre isn't
as crowded as the general Blu-ray category; only a few companies
(including Yamaha, OPPO Digital, Cambridge Audio, Denon, and Marantz)
offer these step-up players. You can compare the Yamaha BD-A1010 with
its competition by reading the reviews for the OPPO Digital BDP-93
and Cambridge Audio Azur 650BD
Learn more about 3D-capable Blu-ray Players by visiting our Blu-ray
the BD-A1010's MSRP of $499.95, it's impossible not to compare it with
OPPO Digital's BDP-93
The two players are similar in disc/format compatibility and Web
offerings, and both have multichannel analog audio outputs and RS-232
control. This model does not offer the dual HDMI outputs or eSATA port
found on the BDP-93, nor do you get the supplied WiFi dongle that OPPO
Digital provides. The dual HDMI outputs are only desirable if you're
trying to mate the player with an older, non-3D-capable A/V receiver
(and again, multichannel analog outs are available). The absence of WiFi
is a big disappointment at this price point; but, if you have no need
for a wireless connection, then I guess you won't miss it. In other
respects, the BD-A1010 is a fully featured player that's a logical
companion piece to a Yamaha receiver. Its street price dips notably
lower than the BDP-93's; at less than $400 street, the Yamaha BD-A1010
is one of the best deals in town for a universal player.Additional Resource
• Read more Blu-ray player reviews
by Home Theater Review's staff.
• Find an LED HDTV
or Plasma HDTV
to pair with the BD-A1010.
• Explore receiver options in our AV Receiver Review section