Audio Pro based in Scandinavia is a new name in high-end audio, at least in the United States. Audio Pro’s recently introduced line-up of wireless loudspeakers are currently available through high-end specialty retailers and custom installers. The LV2 speakers featured here are part of their LV Series, which also includes the single speaker LV1, floorstanding LV3 and LVSUB subwoofer. All of the speakers in this line are wireless and all of them are wrapped in beautiful leather (black or white). The retail price of the LV2 is $1,000 per pair, which might sound steep for desktop/bookshelf speakers, but in this case you truly get what you pay for, from finish to performance. Each LV2 speaker features two 25-Watt Class D amplifiers in a bi-amp system, a one-inch soft dome tweeter and four and a half inch woofer. They feature full CD sound quality and have a range of up to 100 meters in the same room.
I can’t say enough about the finish on the LV2s, as my review samples came in supple black leather with white stitching. The grilles are also nicely built and feature a small tab to assist you with removing them, which I did during listening. Connecting them to my Mac Mini was as simple as connecting the supplied USB dongle, then plugging each speaker into the wall. After the manufacturer recommended 12 hour break-in time, I set about putting them through their paces. The sound quality was simply stunning. Bass response from a speaker of this size was truly remarkable. I listened to some old school reggae as well as some more recent rock music and came away thoroughly impressed. I was also taken aback by their ability to play loud, despite their diminutive size. My listening room is just under 400 square feet and the LV2s were more than capable of filling the room; something I haven’t found with most desktop/bookshelf/bookshelf speakers.
• These speakers have absolutely stunning sound quality, especially considering the fact that they’re wireless.
• Setup is completely hassle-free – just connect the wireless USB dongle, connect each speaker to a power source and you’re in business.
• The leather finish is beautifully done and should work well with just about any décor. Modern, traditional – it doesn’t matter as they look great.
• The LV Series is highly flexible in terms of adding additional speakers, giving you the option of a whole-house wireless system. They’ve also designed the included remote to accommodate such a system.
Read about the low points of the Audio Pro LV2 on Page 2.
• If you happen to have high resolution audio files in your library (think: HD Tracks), the LV2s will downsample them to 48 kHz.
• The leather finish is so beautiful, why not go the extra mile and offer them in other colors such as “Ferrari” red or “Lamborghini” yellow?
Competition and Comparisons
Desktop/bookshelf speakers are becoming a hot topic and popular category among enthusiasts and manufacturers alike. While the LV2s reside near the top of the heap, not only in terms of performance but in price as well, there are a number of desktop/bookshelf loudspeakers worth considering. If the LV2’s asking price is a little too much for your budget, check out desktop/bookshelf speakers such as Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 powered desktop/bookshelf loudspeakers, which retail for $499.95. Another option would be Focal’s XS Multimedia Speaker line and lastly Paradigm’s Shift loudspeakers.
For more information on these loudspeakers as well as other desktop/bookshelf or bookshelf loudspeakers please check out Home Theater Review’s Bookshelf Loudspeaker page.
Up until the moment I fired up the LV2s, I thought my Klipsch Pro Media 2.2 desktop/bookshelf speaker/subwoofer combo was the be-all and end-all. While the LVs can’t match the Klipsch in terms of bass response (due to the stand-alone subwoofer), the LVs absolutely blew them out of the water in terms of mids and highs. Let’s keep in mind that all of this performance is coming from a wireless pair of speakers, which historically speaking has meant poor sound. If you’re demanding about sound quality and don’t want to hassle with running cables to your computer, you’re not going to find much better than what the Audio Pro LV2 has to offer.