Cambridge Audio has announced the new Edge Series of hi-fi components, due out in June. The Edge Series consists of the Edge A integrated amplifier, Edge NQ preamp/network player, and Edge W power amplifier. The Edge W is a Class XA amp rated at 100 watts RMS into eight ohms, and the design uses only 14 components in the signal path. The Edge NQ uses an updated version of Cambridge's proprietary StreamMagic streaming platform and includes support for Bluetooth aptX HD, AirPlay, Spotify Connect, and Chromecast built-in. Check out the press release below for more details.
From Cambridge Audio
?The UK's leading hi-fi company celebrates their 50th anniversary with the introduction of Edge, a pioneering hi-fi system that introduces a new standard for sound and design from the company.
The new series builds on Cambridge Audio's driving principles of creating products that bring the "Great British Sound"--a pure, unfiltered audio experience--into the home, offering the company's most accomplished system to date.
Five decades of engineering expertise has inspired the development of Edge, which features some of Cambridge Audio's most innovative audio engineering to date:
• Short signal paths across the series. The Edge W has just 14 components in the signal path.
• Unique Class XA amplification technology shifts the crossover point out of audible range, offering the sound quality of Class A but with more efficient performance.
• An opposing symmetry twin toroidal transformer design cancels out stray electromagnetic interference.
• Cambridge's proprietary streaming platform, StreamMagic, has been updated to offer improved compatibility, meaning customers will be able to stream audio from a host of sources, including AirPlay, Spotify Connect, and Chromecast built-in, which allows streaming from a wealth of apps, including TIDAL. Additionally, Edge supports Bluetooth aptX HD.
These technologies come together to produce the best example of the pure, unfiltered "British Sound" for which Cambridge Audio is renowned.
The new series is named after Professor Gordon Edge, one of Cambridge Audio's founders. He was an entrepreneurial force of the Cambridge technology cluster and inventor of the company's first product, the P40 integrated amplifier.
The Edge series will be available in June and will consist of three units: Edge A, the integrated amplifier; Edge NQ, the preamplifier and network player; and Edge W, the power amplifier. Edge will be available in select authorized retailers in the US.
"Edge has been a project of passion for Cambridge Audio. With our 50th anniversary approaching, we saw an opportunity to push the boundaries of our abilities to create something truly unique, something truly inspirational. We removed all limitations during development of Edge--anything goes so long as it's in pursuit of the best system we've ever made. The results speak for themselves. Edge is sublime."--Stuart George, Managing Director, Cambridge Audio.
The separate units that make up the Edge series are connected by a shared engineering and design philosophy. Three simple principles are true to each unit.
Firstly, components within Edge were chosen for their "sonic merit" alone. Price, specs, measurements, etc. were all disregarded in favor of what genuinely sounds best. This listen-first, measure-later approach resulted in the best possible sound.
Secondly, Cambridge Audio's engineers were fanatical in their efforts to keep the signal path short. Doing so has ensured the final sound is as pure and unfiltered as possible, staying true to Cambridge Audio's mantra of developing products with "Great British Sound": nothing added, nothing taken away.
Finally, it was imperative that Edge featured a beautifully simple exterior. This was achieved through a "ground-up" design process, resulting in hi-fi separates with a unique look, perfect to take center stage in any living space.
?THE EDGE SERIES
The Edge series will consist of:
• The Edge A, our integrated amplifier, offers incredibly detailed sound with the effortless power to match. Its sound is wonderfully balanced with clarity that's audible with every note. Listening to the Edge A feels like the band is playing right in front of you.
• The Edge NQ offers new levels of versatility for a preamplifier and network player. StreamMagic, the streaming module that powers the NQ, has been improved, allowing the Edge to play music from virtually any source. Also, the Edge NQ's printed circuit board and meticulous engineering reduces interference to ensure a clean sound. ERP: $4,000
• The Edge W is the best power amplifier Cambridge Audio has ever made. With just 14 components in the signal path (where other similar products may have 30 to 40), the Edge W delivers breathtaking, pure, unfiltered British Sound with incredible power: nothing added, nothing taken away. ERP: $3,000
?Customers will have the opportunity to experience Edge ahead of its launch with Cambridge Audio demoing the system at major audio shows across the globe in early 2018. Edge will be on display in Europe, Asia, and North America at the following events:
• Kaohsiung International Hi-End Audio Show (Taiwan)
March 29th to April 1st, 2018
• AXPONA Audio Expo (USA)
April 13th to 15th, 2018
• SIAV (China)
April 13th to 15th, 2018
• The High-End Show (Germany)
May 11th to 13th, 2018