Denon has announced that, over the next two months, three of its top-shelf AV receivers--the AVR-X7200W(A), AVR-X6200W, and AVR-X4200W--will receive a firmware update to add support for the DTS:X object-based audio format. The AVR-7200W(A) (shown here) will receive the update on January 28, while the other two models will receive it on February 18. Other Denon AVRs will get the update later in 2016.
Denon is delivering on its promise to unlock the new immersive sound format from DTS, DTS:X, free-of-charge to the first line of Network A/V Receivers. Born from the company's new 2015 AVR X Series with "Blockbusting 3D Sound," the AVR-X7200WA (AVR-X7200W as well), AVR-X6200W and AVR-X4200W will be the first models to get a firmware update that adds full DTS:X capability to the already award-winning systems. After updating the firmware, all three A/V receivers will be able to run an Audyssey room-equalized DTS:X setup of up to 9.2 or even 11.2 channels, delivering a stunning surround sound experience from literally all directions.
DTS:X delivers truly captivating entertainment experiences in home theaters by accurately conveying the fluid movement of sound to create a richer entertainment soundscape than has previously been possible. DTS:X technology offers the ability to adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits the individual space by seamlessly transporting sound objects to and through specific locations within the viewing environment - in front of, behind, above and beside the audience - giving sound designers the freedom to place audio elements precisely where they need to be to deliver an incredibly immersive experience.
"The addition of DTS:X immersive audio will absolutely captivate Denon customers with its ability to simulate the real-world environment where sound is above, behind and in front of the viewer," said Brian Towne, executive vice president, DTS, president DTS Asia Pacific. "With a growing catalog of top Blu-ray titles and other content incorporating DTS:X, the home entertainment experience will never be the same."
"This is the first wave of products to receive the DTS:X firmware update; we will continue to deliver this new and exciting technology to the rest of our DTS:X ready line-up into 2016," said Yoshinori Yamada, global business team leader for the company's A/V receiver category. "We are happy today making its first step. It is our mission to bring latest and greatest of the industry to our lineup."
The DTS:X firmware update will be released on January 28th for the AVR-X7200W(A), and on February 18th for the AVR-X6200W and the AVR-X4200W, respectively. Final dates are subject to change until final release. A firmware update notification will appear on the TV screen in case the AVR is connected and online, and the "Update Notification" option is set to "On." The latest availability and other instructions will be also available at www.denon.com/dtsx. Additional updates for current DTS:X-ready models will follow later in 2016.
At a glance:
Denon AVR-X4200W 7.2ch Network A/V Receiver - Key Features
• 125W x 7ch (8ohm, 20-20KHz, THD:0.05%) high quality discrete power amplifier for powerful and detailed sound
• D.D.S.C.-HD and AL24 Processing Plus; Denon Link HD
• 9.2ch processing; 13.2ch pre-out; 3 multiroom zones
• Dolby Atmos up to 7.1.2 (with additional 2ch amplifier); DTS:X up to 9.2ch
• Auro-3D, Auromatic (up to 9.1ch; paid Upgrade later in 2016)
• Four Advanced 32-bit DSP processors
• Latest HDMI 2.0a standard with 4K/60Hz, 4:4:4 resolution, HDR, BT2020
• 8 HDMI inputs (1x front) and 3 HDMI outputs with full HDCP 2.2 support
• Advanced Video Processing with scaling of lower resolution up to 4k Ultra HD
• Built-in WiFi with dual diversity antenna, built-in Bluetooth
• Front panel USB input
• Wide support for streaming formats including high resolution DSD, FLAC and AIFF
• AirPlay and DLNA music streaming; Spotify Connect; Internet Radio, Pandora and SiriusXM
• Advanced ECO mode with off/on/auto setting
• Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (Pro ready), Sub EQ HT and LFC
• Audyssey Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ
• New Denon AVR Remote App (available for Android and iOS)
• Setup Assistant in 3 languages; Color-coded speaker terminals
• Available in premium black
Denon AVR-X6200W 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver - Additional Features
• 140 watts x 9 channels (8 ohms, 20-20kHz, THD:0.05%) discrete high quality discrete power amplifier for powerful and detailed sound
• Monolithic amplifier design with Denon custom made transistors
• 11.2ch processing; 13.2ch pre-out; 3 multiroom zones
• Dolby Atmos up to 7.1.4 or 9.1.2 (with additional 2ch amplifier); DTS:X up to 11.2ch
• Auro-3D, Auromatic (up to 10.1ch; paid Upgrade later in 2016)
• Gold-plated terminals
Denon AVR-X7200WA 9.2ch Network A/V Receiver - Additional Features
• 150W x 9ch high quality discrete power amplifier for powerful and detailed sound
• Monolithic amplifier design (L/R separated) with Denon custom made transistors
• D.D.S.C.-HD32 and AL32 Processing Multi-Channel
• Auro-3D, Auromatic (up to 10.1ch; paid Upgrade already available)
• LCD remote control
• Denon Debuts AVR-X3200W and AVR-X4200W Receivers at HomeTheaterReview.com.
• Denon's Flagship AVR-X7200W Receiver to Get HDCP 2.2 Upgrade at HomeTheaterReview.com.