• The DX-46 is cheap and it's easy to setup and use, provided your expectations and demands are low.
• The side mounted jacks make hooking up gaming consoles such as the PS3 a breeze, which leads me to believe the DX-46 was perhaps designed with college students and/or teens in mind.
• The DX-46's lack of inputs is simply unacceptable even at its so-called affordable price tag.
• The DX-46's build quality looks chintzy and feels cheap, leading me to question its longevity.
• The DX-46's image quality is below average at best and clearly not aimed at anyone who fancies himself or herself an enthusiast.
Competition and Comparison
You'd think that because of its $499 asking price, the DX-46 would be somewhat in a league of its own but that simply isn't true, for a quick search on Best Buy's website, a site were the DX-46 is sold, revealed 11 comparable HDTVs - comparable in size and price. Truth be told, the affordable HDTV market is hotter than ever and I can say without a shadow of a doubt that most every $500 HDTV I've encountered is better than the Dynex DX-46. Furthermore, if you're willing to spend just a little more you can purchase HDTVs such as Vizio's 46-inch Theater 3D HDTV, which will give you 3D capabilities, not to mention Internet connectivity, all for a retail price of $899. Obviously, street prices tend to be lower if you catch my drift. If 3D isn't your thing and you don't believe that the Internet should be surfed on your HDTV, then there's Phillips' 46-inch 7000 LED Series HDTV, which retails for $649.99.
I know it may sound and even look tempting, a 46-inch HDTV for less than $500, but trust me when I tell you that the DX-46 from Dynex simply isn't worth it. You're better off spending just a little more and getting a better budget HDTV from the likes of Vizio than wasting your money on what isn't a deal at all in the DX-46.
• Read more LCD HDTV reviews from HomeTheaterReview.com's staff.
• Find a Blu-ray player in our Blu-ray Player Review section.
• Explore soundbar pairing options in our Soundbar Review section.