JL Audio has added a new eight-inch model to its Fathom IWS line of in-wall subwoofers. Inside the ported enclosure is an all-new, long-excursion, eight-inch thin-line woofer, designed and built specifically by JL Audio and driven by a rack-mountable DSP/amplifier delivering up to 600 watts of power and featuring the company’s 18-band Digital Automatic Room Optimization (D.A.R.O.) system. The eight-inch Fathom IWS system is available now in either a single-driver version (IWS-SYS-108, $2,100) or a dual-driver version (IWS-SYS-208, $3,000).
From JL Audio
JL Audio announced the launch of a new 8-inch version of their Fathom IWS in-wall subwoofer systems. The new 8-inch Fathom IWS system joins the previous 13.5-inch driver models in the Fathom IWS lineup.
Andy Oxenhorn, President of JL Audio, says, “We are excited about the potential of the 8-inch in-wall subwoofer solution in our growing line of architectural audio solutions. This model has a very small grille opening that will please customers looking for a visually unobtrusive solution, while still capable of delivering true JL Audio sub-bass performance.”
The 8-inch Fathom IWS systems feature a compact enclosure–built in JL Audio’s Miramar, FL, factory–that utilizes extensive architectural techniques to improve rigidity while maintaining a minimal footprint to facilitate installation in more applications regardless of wall construction. A unique port design vents through a slot located at the perimeter of the driver mount, to enhance efficiency and low-bass output. Inside the enclosure is an all-new, long-excursion, 8-inch thin-line woofer, designed and built specifically by JL Audio for these products. The system is driven by a rack-mountable DSP/amplifier with up to 600 watts of clean power and programmed specifically for each system. A complete set of Fathom signal processing features are in the amplifier, including a powerful, 18-band Digital Automatic Room Optimization (D.A.R.O.) system and a true two-way crossover with high-pass outputs, all accessible via an easy-to-use, menu-driven interface and LCD display.
“Fathom IWS systems start with a premise that our customers should not need to lower their expectations for sound quality when selecting an in-wall subwoofer solution. The IWS-108 and 208 systems combine our expertise in driver, enclosure and amplifier design to deliver on this core principle, in a compact package that is easy to integrate into any room,” added Manville Smith, VP of Marketing.
Fathom IWS-SYS-108 and IWS-SYS-208 Specifications:
• Enclosure Type: Ported Enclosure
• Driver(s): 8-inch (nominal diameter)
• Effective Piston Area: 31.62 sq. in. (0.0204 sq. m.) for each woofer
• Effective Displacement: 47.5 cu. in. (0.78 liters) for each woofer
• Amplifier Power: 300W RMS short-term (IWS-SYS-108), 600W RMS short-term (IWS-SYS-208)
• Amplifier Dimensions (HxWxD): 1.75 in. x 16.84 in. x 13.63 in. (44mm x 428mm x 346mm)
• Amplifier Net Weight: 13.5 lbs. (6.12 kg)
• Enclosure Dimensions (HxWxD): 61.63 in. x 14 in. x 3.25 in. (1,565mm x 355mm x 83mm)
• Cabinet Finish: Black Texture-Coated
• Wall Opening Dimensions (HxW): 9.75 in. x 9.75 in. (248mm x 248mm)
• Grille Dimensions (HxW): 10.50 in. x 10.50 in. (267mm x 267mm)
• Grille Finish: White (paintable)
• Proprietary, purpose built, ported enclosure
• Single amplifier system solution – 300W single driver system or 600W dual driver system
• Off, On, Automatic (Signal-Sensing or 12V Trigger) Power Modes
• D-Pad navigation buttons with LCD display
• Inputs: JLINK (RJ45 jack), Unbalanced Stereo or Mono (two RCA jacks), High-Level Stereo or Mono (removable plug)
• Outputs: Stereo or Mono (two RCA jacks – Pass-Through or High-Pass), Neutrik speak-On 2-Pole Connectors (uses Neutrik part: NL2FX, included)
• 18-Band Digital Automatic Room Optimization (D.A.R.O.)
MSRP USD: $2,100-$3,000
Availability: Mid October 2017
• Visit the JL Audio website for more product information.
• Check out our In-wall and Architectural Speaker Reviews category page to read reviews of similar products.