Modern flat panel displays demand modern speaker designs, hence the creation of so-called "lifestyle" speakers. KEF dove in fearlessly on these speaker systems to quickly become a market leader, creating small speakers with flexible mounting from on-wall to table-top to stand-mounting for integration with flat panel displays, but they didn't stop there. The KHT 5005.2 speakers can even go wireless, allowing enhanced flexibility and ease of set-up. The KHT 5005.2 system falls in the middle of their line of lifestyle systems and comes in at just under $2,000 for the complete 5.1 set-up.
The sound of the KEF system is full and open and, as it uses the same speakers for fronts, center and surrounds, transitions are seamless. This system is capable of extremely high sonic output, well exceeding the 106 db at which it is rated. Even from a simple receiver-based system, this capability makes it well-suited to home theater applications where large swings in dynamics are common, but the smooth sound it makes will keep you happy with your musical sources as well. The HTB2 subwoofer is easy to integrate into the system and keeps pace well with the nimble mains.
Continue on to Page 2 for the high points and the low points of the 5005.2.
• Attractive styling and flexible mounting
options make this system adaptable to almost any room. Optional floor
and table stands and even a wireless system further enhance the
flexibility of this system.
• This system is capable of very high
volume output that seems incomprehensible given the drivers' size, but
this ability makes it a great choice for people wanting to fill large
rooms with minimally invasive speaker systems.
• Surround transitions are seamless, as all main speakers are the same and therefore match perfectly.
• The small but powerful subwoofer mates extremely well with the system and offers plenty of bass output for even larger rooms.
• The sleek look and clean lines make this an easy system to mate to modern displays and rooms.
• The small size of the drivers will of course be limited by physics and, at extreme output, the sound will compress, affecting the sound quality.
• If you go with the wireless option, you will still need to run power to the speakers.
The KEF KHT 5005.2 offers amazingly full sound and sonic output in a complete package for a reasonable price. The use of identical speakers all around makes for perfect transitions and the included subwoofer is small but powerful and mates extremely well with the rest of the system. Flexible mounting options and even the choice of wireless speakers make this system easy to integrate into almost any room or décor, while the rich and full sound from the system will keep even a discerning ear happy. This not only is a good system in terms of space and décor, it is a great system sonically, too, one you owe it to yourself to listen to if you are in the market for a new speaker system.
• Learn more about wireless speakers from HomeTheaterReview.com.