Lutron recently announced that its Caséta wireless smart home system--which supports lighting, shades, and thermostat control--will now work with Nest thermostats and can be controlled through Logitech's Harmony Living Home control systems. Other upcoming partnerships include compatibility with the Apple Watch and the AT&T Digital Life system.
Creating a smarter and more connected home has never been easier. Lutron Electronics has announced several new integration capabilities for its Caséta Wireless smart home system, which provides convenient control of lights, shades and thermostats anytime, from anywhere, from either a remote control or the Lutron App.
Lutron's Caséta Wireless dimmers, Serena remote-controlled shades, Pico remote controls, and third-party devices are connected to the Lutron App via the Lutron Smart Bridge, providing an affordable smart home solution for the do-it-yourself or do-it-for-me consumer. The Lutron App is compatible with any iOS- or Android-based smart phone or tablet.
Lutron is pleased to announce new integration capabilities, available now:
1. The Lutron App can now work with the Nest Learning Thermostat. From the Lutron App, you can adjust the temperature as well as set your Nest Thermostat to Home or Away from anywhere. This functionality is available now for iOS- and Android-based devices.
2. Through the Logitech Harmony Living Home, Caséta Wireless dimmers and Serena shades can now be controlled from Logitech Harmony remote controls or the Harmony Mobile App.
Several new integration capabilities are coming soon:
1. Lutron is thrilled that its Caséta Wireless will connect people with their homes through Apple Watch, putting control of lights, shades and more right on your wrist. You now have control anytime, from anywhere. Turn lights on as you arrive home so you never have to enter a dark house again, or transform a room into an ideal place for watching a favorite movie. And, if you leave the lights on at home, you'll receive a notification on your wrist with the ability to turn off your lights with a simple tap.
2. AT&T Digital Life customers will be able to manage their Lutron devices, such as shades through the Digital Life app. Integration with Caséta Wireless will provide Digital Life customers with new features that further enhance their security and home automation system.
3. Lutron is also building a Channel on IFTTT that will trigger light and shade control actions from Caséta Wireless dimmers and Serena shades.
"These new energy-saving solutions give consumers the opportunity to transform their home quickly, easily and affordably into a smart and connected one and provide peace of mind," said Matt Swatsky, Director - Product Management at Lutron Electronics. "With the Lutron Smart Bridge and App, we are giving people the ability to reliably control their home from anywhere in the world."
How it Works
The Lutron Smart Bridge, which uses Lutron's proprietary ClearConnect Wireless technology, plugs easily and directly into a home's Wi-Fi router. Installed and set up by consumers in less than 30 minutes, the product sends wireless, radio frequency (RF) communication signals to compatible Lutron devices inside the home. The Lutron Smart Bridge Pro is professionally installed and programmed and is designed for the "do-it-for-me" consumer.
With an integrated timeclock, the Smart Bridge and Smart Bridge Pro provide a scheduling functionality to ensure that lights and shades will adjust automatically based on time of day. Examples: shades can close 20 minutes before sunset every day, and the front porch light will turn on at dusk and off at midnight daily.
Lutron Smart Bridge- and Smart Bridge Pro-Compatible Products
1. Caséta Wireless in-wall dimmers control overhead lights and work with the newest energy-saving bulbs, including dimmable LEDs, dimmable CFLs, halogens, and incandescent. They do not require a neutral wire, so they easily replace any existing light switch.
2. Caséta Wireless lamp dimmers plug into a standard wall receptacle and provide control of table and floor lamps that are using the newest energy-saving bulbs, including dimmable LEDs, dimmable CFLs, halogens, and incandescent. They are designed to control two lamps simultaneously with dual plug-in receptacles.
3. The Lutron Pico wireless battery-powered remote control features a 10-year battery life, works with Caséta Wireless dimmers and Serena shades. It can be used as a handheld remote, surface mounted to the wall or to a car visor, or placed on a tabletop pedestal.
4. Serena battery-powered, remote controlled shades are available in two styles -- honeycomb and roller shades -- and run on D-size batteries. The average life span of the batteries is 3 to 5 years (based on two "ups" and two "downs" per day).
5. The free Lutron App has a simple user interface to provide consumers with a one-touch solution. They can adjust and check-in on their lights, shades, and temperature from the office, the beach, or anywhere in the world. They can also set up preset scenes for the perfect lighting for their home theatre, dining room, or bedroom. The App is available on iTunes and Google Play. New for 2015, the Lutron App is now also available in Spanish, French and Portuguese. Languages can be accessed by changing your phone's language settings.
6. The Lutron App is also compatible with Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostats. Consumers can conveniently raise the temperature a few degrees before they arrive home, adjust it to just the right level while they're watching TV, or set it back when they're away. They can also adjust the system mode (heating, cooling, auto, fan on/off) all from within the Lutron App.
7. Integration with select third-party A/V controls like Savant, Remote Technologies Incorporated (RTI) products and others provide an integrated home control solution.
8. The Lutron Smart Bridge Pro works with select security systems. The Alarm.com smart phone App, for example, provides control of both Caséta Wireless dimmers and Serena shades from the Alarm.com App, and as part of a security event. If the alarm is tripped, Serena shades will rise and lights will turn on, drawing attention to the situation. The Smart Bridge Pro is also compatible with select security systems from ELK Products and others.
Do-it-yourselfers can purchase the Lutron Smart Bridge ($150 suggested list price) on SerenaShades.com and Amazon.com.
For homeowners seeking professional installation, the Lutron Smart Bridge Pro ($200 suggested list price) is available from local electricians, residential system providers, security professionals and lighting showrooms.
The Caséta Wireless package, featuring a Pico remote control with a dimmer (wall or lamp), has a suggested list price of $80 and is available at Amazon.com, Home Depot.com, Home Depot stores, Staples.com, Magnolia Design Centers, select Magnolia Home Theater stores, and from local electricians, lighting showrooms and electrical distributors.
Serena Shades are available on SerenaShades.com.
Caséta Wireless products will soon be available in select Central and South American countries.
Visit CasetaWireless.com or SerenaShades.com for more information.