Meridian Audio has announced details on the new 271 Digital Theatre Controller, scheduled for release in September but available now for preorder. The 271 is designed to integrate any analog or digital AV processor on the market with Meridian's DSP (Digital Signal Processing) loudspeakers. Among its many connection options, the 271 features 16 channels of analog audio input on any combination of single-ended or balanced input connections, plus 20 SpeakerLink outputs for use with Meridian DSP loudspeakers. The analog-only version will sell for $2,000.
Meridian Audio has launched the 271 Digital Theatre Controller. This breakthrough product allows technology integrators to deliver the most exceptional and immersive home cinema experience yet to their customers, complete with the highest quality dynamics and clarity, in analog, digital and 3D format applications.
The 271 is designed to integrate any analog or digital AV processor on the market with Meridian's DSP (Digital Signal Processing) loudspeakers, renowned for bringing the best, high-resolution, immersive audio into home cinemas.
"The ambition to generate maximum performance and the ultimate audio fidelity from any source is in Meridian's DNA," says Barry Sheldrick, Meridian's Director of Sales. "That's exactly what the 271 does for home cinema. For the first time, this Digital Theatre Controller enables the integrator to benefit from our DSP speaker technology using their processor of choice, giving their clients the best possible experience. As clients continue to move from physical media to streaming content, where lossy, low-resolution codecs are the norm for the foreseeable future, our 271 is also the premium performance option for Atmos, Auro-3D, and DTS:X formats."
Installation flexibility is achieved through more Meridian design innovation. Equipped with Meridian High Resolution (MHR) technology, the 271 offers the following:
• 16 channels of analog audio on any combination of single-ended or balanced input connections (RCA or 2 x 8 channel DB25 connectors).
• 16 + 4 digital audio outputs on SpeakerLink connections for use with Meridian DSP loudspeakers.
• 16 + 4 analog audio outputs on unbalanced RCA connectors to allow simple integration of Meridian DSP speakers with passive loudspeakers.
• Optional balanced digital input options available to support 16 channels of digital audio fed from processors including those from Trinnov, Datasat and Storm Audio (2 x RJ45 and 1 x DB25).
• Multiple 271s can be used where more channels are required (32, 48 etc).
• A key focus for Meridian in the design of the 271 was the ease of installation and integration.
Although it contains more than 4,000 individual components, the 271 is only 2U high and is designed for easy rack mounting. Integrating the 271 into an existing AV system is simple, thanks to an intuitive IP controlled setup and configuration platform, and control modules for a number of third party systems. As with all 200 series components, the 271 is cool running and requires no ventilation.
Rayner Sheridan, Meridian's Director of Marketing, commented, "It seems very fitting that as we celebrate our 40th anniversary we are releasing a product that embodies the fundamental core philosophies of Meridian and our ongoing commitment to provide unrivaled, high-performance audio solutions. This ethos remains as strong today as it did in 1977, and will continue long into the future of the company."
Price: $2,000 MSRP for the analog version (five-year warranty)
Shipping: September 2017. Available for preorder now.