Monitor Audio has added a new passive model to its soundbar line. The SB-4 is an L/C/R soundbar in which each channel features dual four-inch C-CAM midrange drivers and a single one-inch C-CAM gold dome tweeter, as well as a total of four Auxiliary Bass Radiators. The SB-4 is designed to visually complement TVs with a screen size of 70 inches or larger. The cabinet is made of high-density MDF, with an acoustically transparent cloth grille. The SB-4 is now available for $1,050.
From Monitor Audio
Monitor Audio has extended its popular SB Soundbar range with the new SB-4. Designed to provide a visually balanced audio solution for 70-inch screens and larger, this stylish, high-performance passive soundbar is ideal for installers keen to deliver premium performance in media room applications.
"More and more homeowners seek an immersive cinematic experience in their everyday living space. At the same time, larger screens are becoming much more affordable," says Monitor Audio's Technical Director, Dean Hartley. "In these situations, a soundbar can provide a significant uplift in audio quality, but for installers, the challenge is finding a product that's also a good, aesthetic match for the screen. The new SB-4 gives home technology professionals, and their clients, just that option, with a soundbar that is purpose-designed for 70-inch screens and larger."
The SB-4 incorporates a series of clever technical features and design innovations, which demonstrate Monitor Audio's revered attention to detail and commitment to quality.
Dual 4-inch C-CAM drivers and a 1-inch C-CAM tweeter in each Left, Center and Right (L-C-R) section ensures the sensitivity and sound balance are perfectly matched across the front three audio channels. This performance is enhanced by using compact, flat diaphragm 'racetrack' style Auxiliary Bass Radiators (ABRs) to provide additional bass punch, increase power handling and remove turbulent air noise. All three sections within the cabinet are partitioned and operate purely as discrete channels with the crossover also split in an identical way. The result is a soundbar that can play loud, clean and free from any distortion.
The SB-4's 4-inch bass drivers feature concave C-CAM cone technology formed from a continuous uninterrupted dish, which ensures the center section is as rigid as possible for extra strength. They are driven by a specifically designed coupling assembly which adds de-coupling and significantly reduces distortion.
The 1-inch C-CAM tweeters provide the highest level of performance from such a compact tweeter assembly. The new tweeter vents internally through a special housing and around the outside of the magnet system into a rear-loading chamber for much lower resonance and better damping. The result is more accurate, distortion-free sound at low frequencies. A special horn-loaded face plate offers excellent integration with the bass drivers and consistent off-axis performance to give uniform coverage around the room.
The SB-4 cabinet is made with high-density MDF that is braced internally for maximum rigidity. The through-bolt technology utilized on the bass and tweeter drivers gives extra strength to create an incredibly stiff and low-resonance cabinet for clear, defined audio reproduction. Cabinets are finished in a special seamless cloth to provide ideal acoustical transparency combined with solid, brushed aluminum ends for an elegant and discreet appearance.
Ease of installation is another key advantage of the SB-4. High quality, low profile binding posts provide an easy and trouble free connection, with the terminals recessed neatly to enable a flush to wall installation. The terminal panel also houses standard fixing points compatible with SANUS TV mounts, with many options for TV and wall installation. Wall mounting is also possible using Monitor Audio's low-profile wall mount bracket with cable access, easy pre-alignment and fixing template.
The SB-4 is designed to be used with a partnering subwoofer and crossed over to provide the best possible experience and increased system power handling. Alternatively, the soundbar can be used independently to deliver an impressive uplift in TV audio performance with only a slightly reduced power handling.
SB-4 FEATURES & BENEFITS
• Left, right and center channels feature identical driver configurations: 2 x 4" C-CAM bass drivers, 1 x 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter in an M-T-M type configuration.
• Center section features 2 x Racetrack profile ABRs (Auxiliary Bass Radiators) to obtain correct tuning; the left and right channel feature a single racetrack ABR.
• All MDF construction. Internally braced for additional rigidity.
• New 4" C-CAM bass drivers feature concave cone profiles for stiffer cone properties and resulting in lower distortion.
• 1" (25mm) C-CAM tweeter--optimized to deliver the finest and widest performance within the compact cabinets. It benefits from a more efficient rear-venting design, releasing air trapped and compressed at the back of the tweeter dome, and guiding it around the drive assembly to a rear-loading chamber.
• Single through-bolt driver fixing provides mechanical de-coupling and enhanced mid-band clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also act as rigid cross bracing to give a very solid non-resonant cabinet.
• Three acoustically independent channels (Left, Center, Right) integrated in one enclosure.
• Wrap-around acoustically open, black cloth finish with solid brushed Silver aluminium end trims - provides stealthy appearance for perfect placement near a TV.
• Neat terminal panel with high quality, low profile gold plated binding post terminals.
• High-quality crossovers utilizing polypropylene capacitors and low loss laminated steel core inductors.
• Designed to fit SANUS TV mounting systems.
• Optional sturdy wall bracket with cable hole access and template installation.
• Low profile Silicon rubber feet integrated for secure cabinet top placement.
• Suitable for 70" TV screens and larger.
• Dimensions (H x W x D): 5 3/4" x 61 1/2" x 3 1/2"
• MSRP: $1,050 each