Monitor Audio has added a new in-ceiling speaker to its Platinum II line. The three-way PLIC II speaker features an eight-inch long throw bass driver, dual two-inch C-CAM midrange drivers, and a Micro Pleated Diaphragm (MPD) air motion high-frequency ribbon transducer. The speaker uses Monitor Audio's Tri-Grip fixing system, and an optional pre-construction MDF back box is available to control sound leakage. More details are available in the press release below.
From Monitor Audio
Monitor Audio has expanded its Platinum II range of speakers to include a design- and installation-friendly in-ceiling speaker that offers unsurpassed levels of performance
and sublime audio accuracy.
"When developing a new speaker, manufacturers have to consider four audiences--home technology installers, architects, interior designers and end users," comments Monitor Audio's Technical Director, Dean Hartley. "This means that the final product has to meet many demands. We are delighted that we have met all these expectations with the new PLIC II in-ceiling speaker--it's a winning combination of high quality sound, ease of installation and discreet design."
The Monitor Audio PLIC II in-ceiling speaker features an 8" long throw bass driver with Rigid Diaphragm Technology (RDT II) to provide immensely powerful bass lines. This is achieved by the RDT cone reacting to an audio signal with lightning fast precision and without deformation. A rigid aluminum baffle houses dual C-CAM midrange drivers and a Micro Pleated Diaphragm (MPD) air motion high frequency ribbon transducer, directed toward the listening area to deliver the best possible sound balance to the listener.
All PLIC II drivers employ a heavy duty motor system integrating an under-hung motor assembly to ensure the coil always remains in the gap, even when driven hard. The addition of copper 'shorting' rings greatly improves magnetic linearity and lowers intermodulation distortion, resulting in crisp and clear audio delivery. A world first for an in-ceiling speaker!
Designed for installation in both new build and retrofit projects, the PLIC II in-ceiling speaker features Monitor Audio's unique Tri-Grip fixing system. This three-position 'dog leg' style fixing provides a greater contact surface area than other types. This system, combined with the magnetic grille, saves the installer both time and money by speeding up the speaker fitting process.
To ensure controlled audio performance, Monitor Audio has designed an optional pre-construction MDF back box with pre-determined air volume of 24L. The rigid box is available with pre-loaded internal damping material to provide the best possible sound absorption and reduce standing waves.
To satisfy the interior designer and end user, the circular grille can appear almost invisible, by being painted to match the room décor. Monitor Audio also offers a square option to match lighting fixtures and ventilation.
PLIC II FEATURES AND BENEFITS
• High-performance 'no compromise' flagship speaker product.
• Compact dimensions.
• Four drivers--full three-way design.
• 8" Long throw Bass driver featuring RDT II cone technology.
• Dual 2" C-CAM midrange drivers for wider dispersion.
• MPD high frequency transducer.
• Angled midrange and high frequency drivers--directed toward listening area to provide uniform mid- and high-frequency dispersion.
• Rigid aluminium baffle construction.
• Highest quality 'push' style termination.
• Midrange and H.F level adjustment switches (+1/0/-1) dB.
• Paintable, trimless/low profile circular magnetic grille design--square options available.
• Highest quality crossover design--including metallised polypropylene capacitor and low loss inductors.
• Patented Tri-grip dog leg fixing.
• PLIC-BOX II--specially designed pre-construction enclosure provides ideal controlled performance.
• Pre-construction bracket for retro fit purposes: CB10 (light brown).
MSRP: $1,500 each
• Visit the Monitor Audio website for more product information.
• Monitor Audio Launches Updated Silver Series Lineup at HomeTheaterReview.com.