Monitor Audio has introduced a new line of passsive L/C/R soundbars. The SB Series includes two models: the $750 SB-2 and the larger $900 SB-3. Both models combine a four-inch C-CAM bass driver, a one-inch C-CAM gold dome tweeter, and an auxiliary bass radaator for each channel; the larger SB-3 adds an extra bass driver and bass radiator to the center channel. The soundbars are wrapped in an acoustically transparent black cloth finish and have solid brushed-aluminium end trims. The SB Series will be available this month.
From Monitor Audio
The new SB Series of passive soundbars will contribute the essential high-definition audio element to screen entertainment from thin TVs of 50 inches and above. Complete with a wide range of mounting options for easy and discreet custom installation, the two super-slim SB models are engineered with flagship cabinet and driver technologies to combine efficient low-profile design with extraordinary room-filling dynamics.
The compact SB-2 is engineered for seamless integration with 50"-60" TVs, while the SB-3 is custom-built for screen sizes above 60". Both models feature three separate driver arrays for left, centre, and right channels in a single cabinet. The SB-2 employs individual 4" mid-bass, 1" tweeter and sealed ABR (Auxiliary Bass Radiator) drivers per section; the SB-3 uses twin bass drivers and ABRs in the centre section to provide higher acoustic output and power handling for critical centre channel reproduction. In order achieve astonishing music and film-sound performance relative to size, all drivers are of the latest design developed for Monitor Audio's flagship speakers and utilize our signature C-CAM material.
NEW MID-BASS DRIVERS
Unlike conventional cones, which incorporate a centre aperture for the voice-coil, the C-CAM cones deployed by the SB series take the form of a continuous uninterrupted radiating dish having inherently greater strength and area. The voice coil sits beneath and is coupled to the motor by a more efficient drive assembly, increasing excursion and power handling while reducing distortion for a more dynamic and accurate response. Flat diaphragm 'racetrack'-style ABRs augment the mid-bass drivers to provide additional bass definition and power handling. They work in a similar way to ported alignments, but remove the possibility of port noise, helping the SBs to play loud and clear.
Sitting in a newly developed horn-loaded tweeter housing for consistent off-axis performance and uniform room coverage, SB's improved C-CAM high-frequency drivers vent internally around the outside of the magnet system into a rear-loading chamber, producing much lower resonance and better overall damping. The frequency response from each new tweeter is wider and more accurate at lower frequencies for better integration with its companion mid-bass driver(s).
STYLISH LOW-PROFILE CABINETS
SB's slim-line cabinets are of high-density MDF, braced internally for maximum rigidity, promoting clean, low-distortion sound. Additional bracing is supplied by Monitor Audio's innovative bolt-through driver mountings designed for our range-topping speakers, which secure the driver to the back of the cabinet and clamp the basket to the front, reducing resonance in the enclosure while eliminating front fixings. The SB cabinets are clothed by an acoustically transparent cloth finished with brushed aluminum end caps for a discreetly stylish result that will integrate beautifully with any flat display.
THE PERFECT FLUSH-FIT
High-quality, low-profile terminals are recessed to facilitate flush-to-wall installation. The terminal panel provides standard fixing points compatible with Sanus TV mounts, which offer a wide range of installation opportunities. Wall mounting is also possible via Monitor Audio's low-profile Soundbar series wall bracket (optional) for easy cable access, pre-alignment and fixing. Silicon feet provide a secure cabinet-top mounting alternative.
In larger rooms the SB-2 and SB-3 are designed to be used with a partnering subwoofer to deliver the best possible audio experience. Within smaller environments and systems, the SBs can be deployed without the sub to handle full-range audio with a reduced power handling.
FEATURES & SPECIFICATIONS
• Range of discreet, stylish passive soundbars for displays of 50" and above.
• Three acoustically independent channels (Left, Centre, Right) integrated within one enclosure.
• All MDF construction. Internally braced for additional rigidity.
• New 4" (200mm) C-CAM bass drivers for each channel (two for the SB-3 centre) - feature concave cone profiles for stiffer cone properties resulting in lower distortion.
• 1" (25mm) C-CAM gold dome tweeter for each channel, optimized to deliver the widest frequency performance within the compact SB cabinets. It benefits from a more efficient rear-venting design for longer excursion, higher output, lower distortion and better integration with the mid-bass driver.
• Auxiliary Bass Radiators (ABRs) for each channel (two for the SB-3 centre), designed to extend bass response with no associated air noise.
• Single through-bolt driver fixings provide mechanical de-coupling and enhanced mid-band clarity and resolution. The through-bolts also perform cross-bracing to enhance cabinet rigidity.
Acoustically transparent wrap-around black cloth finish with solid brushed aluminium end trims offers perfect style complement to TV displays.
• Recessed high-quality, gold-pated terminals.
• Designed to fit Sanus TV mounting systems.
• Optional sturdy Soundbar series wall bracket with easy cable access and template installation.
• Low-profile silicon rubber feet integrated for secure cabinet top placement.
SB-2 INDIVIDUAL FEATURES
L/C/R channels feature identical driver complement: 1 x 4" C-CAM bass driver, 1 x 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter and 1 x racetrack profile ABR.
Dimensions: 5 11/16 x 43 5/8 x 3 1/2 inches.
Suitable for display sizes from 50" To 60".
SB-3 INDIVIDUAL FEATURES
L/R channels feature identical driver complement: 1 x 4" C-CAM bass driver, 1 x 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter and 1 x racetrack profile ABR.
Centre channel features 2 x 4" bass-mid range driver in 'MTM' configuration, 1 x 1" C-CAM gold dome tweeter and 2 x racetrack profile ABRs.
Dimensions: 5 11/16 x 51 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches.
Suitable for display sizes of 60"+.
Availability: Mid February, 2015
• Monitor Audio Introduces Updated Gold Series at HomeTheaterReview.com.
• Monitor Audio ASB-2 Soundbar Reviewed at HomeTheaterReview.com.