Onkyo has released a firmware update that adds Spotify Connect to its network-enabled 2014 AV receivers and home theater packages. The company has also released a new control app called Onkyo Remote 3, which is compatible with iOS 8 and boasts a lot of new functions.
A free firmware update enabling Spotify Connect on 2014-model network-ready Onkyo A/V receivers, controllers, and HTiB packages is now available for download, the company announced.
Compatible models include the TX-NR535, TX-NR636, TX-NR737, TX-NR838, TX-NR1030, and TX-NR3030 network A/V receivers; the PR-SC5530 Network A/V Controller; and the HT-S5700, HT-S7700, and HT-S9700THX home theater packages.
The update allows Spotify Premium subscribers to stream over 20 million tracks from the Spotify smartphone and tablet application to their A/V component, with the service bolstering a suite of existing streaming options bundled with Wi-Fi-enabled Onkyo home theater products. Spotify Connect also allows users to make calls or use other apps without interrupting playback since the technology is built into the receiver.
Onkyo also unveiled a new and improved iOS 8-compatible app, Onkyo Remote 3, for iPod touch/iPhone, which is also available as a free download via the App Store. The app seamlessly combines control and streaming functionality in one easy-to-navigate User Interface complete with a fresh new “flat” design scheme, allowing users to unlock the full potential of their Onkyo component without leaving the lounge.
Onkyo Remote 3 is compatible with all Onkyo network A/V receivers and controllers manufactured from 2011 (TX-NRX09 and later), as well as the TX-8050 Network Stereo Receiver and CS-N755 Network Hi-Fi Mini System. As well as providing a simple graphical interface for controlling playback and adjusting system settings, the app:
• Streams music stored on iPod touch/iPhone to the receiver or tuner with familiar song organization (album, artist, playlist, and genre), album art, and content information
• Enables song, album, playlist, and radio channel selection from online streaming services included with select Onkyo products
• Locates and streams Hi-Res PCM, 2.8 MHz DSD (models manufactured during or after 2013), and 5.6 MHz DSD (2014 models only) stored on compatible network-attached devices via the Home Media function
• Locates and streams lossless and compressed audio from DLNA-compatible media servers and PCs
• Integrates compatibility with Spotify Connect (2014-model receivers only)
• Manages playback in up to three zones from anywhere within range of the home network
• Offers fast and efficient input source switching
• Enables limited control of other A/V and Hi-Fi components connected to the receiver or tuner via Onkyo’s RI (Remote Interactive) terminals, as well as playback control for compatible Blu-ray Disc players via CEC
• Provides access to the main setup menu on compatible Onkyo A/V receivers, allowing users to perform detailed adjustment using the connected display.
Spotify Connect and Onkyo Remote 3 join app next-generation features such as Dolby Atmos, 4K/60 Hz video via HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, built-in Wi-Fi for Hi-Res audio, and Bluetooth with Advanced Music Optimizer in Onkyo 2014 network products. These cutting-edge technologies and smooth operability guarantee a powerful and emotionally captivating entertainment experience.
• Onkyo Unveils Atmos Home-Theater-in-a-Box at HomeTheaterReview.com.
• Onkyo TX-NR636 7.2-Channel Netwrok AV Recevier Reviewed at HomeTheaterReview.com.