• The Mod1 system scores high in the wife acceptance arena with its small stature but big sound, not to mention good value for the money.
• All Orb Audio products are designed and assembled in the USA and come with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.
• The Mod1 speakers themselves have a beautiful coherence that is perfect for much of today's modern music and movie soundtracks. The dialog track of any film shines with the Mod1 speakers.
• The Super Eight sub mates well with the Mod1 satellites and is compact enough to be "hidden" in most installations, though I would treat it more like a bass module and less like a subwoofer.
• In terms of overall enjoyment the Mod1 system is just plain fun. It's practical, affordable, looks great and is simply more engaging than anything a soundbar or home theater in a box can hope to recreate. It competes with satellite subwoofer systems costing twice as much.
• The Mod1's binding posts, while stylish, are a bit cumbersome to deal with and accept only bare wire. Orb Audio recommends and also sells bulk 16-gauge wire to be used with their speakers at little cost to you.
• There is only so much air a small speaker like the Mod1 can move and while the system can play loud, loud enough for most tastes I'm sure, if you push them too hard they will compress and distort. Keep the volume within reason and you should be just fine. Those of you who have larger rooms may want to step up to Orb Audio's Mod2 line of products.
For well under a grand, $798 to be exact, the Mod1 Home Theater Speaker System from Orb Audio is a value leader in the truest sense of the word. The Mod1's single driver design multiplied by five matching speakers makes for a surround sound experience that is hard to fault and beat at this price point. The bass performance of the Super Eight subwoofer is respectable and mates nicely with the Mod1 satellites. However if you want a little more punch you're going to have to spend a little bit more. Regardless of how you integrate the Mod1 system into your home it's one of those rare systems that does all the necessary things right at a price you'll find hard to believe after you've watched a few DVDs and Blu-rays.