A recent Parks Associates report reveals that 68 percent of U.S. smartphone owners listen to streaming music every day, for an average of 45 minutes per day. Amazon Prime Music emerged as the most popular paid streaming music service in this research. On the video side, 71 percent of smartphone owners watch short video clips (for an average of 24 minutes per day), while 40 percent watch longer clips like TV shows and movies. The report also showed that iPhone users consume more media content on avergae than users of Android or other operating systems.
From Parks Associates
Parks Associates announced new consumer research showing smartphone owners spend more time per day listening to music on their device compared to other major entertainment activities. The research, 360 View Update: m-Commerce and Entertainment Apps: Usage Trends, notes 68 percent of smartphone owners listen to streaming music daily, while 71 percent watch short video clips, but video viewers spend only 24 minutes on average watching short clips, while streaming music consumers spend 45 minutes per day on this activity.
"Currently Amazon Prime Music is the most popular paid music subscription service among U.S. broadband households, thanks to its inclusion in Amazon Prime, but the streaming music war has intensified as the large connected entertainment companies are driving to consolidate their offerings," said Harry Wang, Director, Health & Mobile Product Research, Parks Associates. "Apple launched Apple Music, and Google is consolidating its music offerings across its Play content store and YouTube platform. Consumers are getting more music options as the competition for users escalates."
Digital media usage also varies based on OS brand and carrier. iPhone users consume more media content than users of Android and other operating systems. T-Mobile and Sprint customers have the highest incidence of daily music consumption among U.S. carriers--over 75 percent of subscribers for T-Mobile or Sprint listen to streaming music daily, versus 66 percent of Verizon users.
Additional research from the study:
• Smartphone owners spend an average of 28 minutes per day playing games on their mobile device.
• 40 percent of smartphone owners watch longer video clips such as TV or movies at least once per day.
• 45 percent of iPhone owners watch movies or TV shows on their phones daily; 40 percent of Samsung phone owners watch these longer video clips on their device at least once per day.
• 15 Percent of U.S. Broadband Subscribers Plan to Buy Wireless Speakers at HomeTheaterReview.com.
• Roku Remains Top-Selling Streaming Media Player, Apple TV Falls to Fourth Place at HomeTheaterReview.com.