Speakers are without a doubt the component that has the most effect on the sound of your system. While it is possible to spend literally hundreds of thousands of dollars on speakers, in the real world, we all have to live within our means and can only buy what we can afford. Paradigm has been making great speakers at bargain prices for years and the new version of the Studio Reference 100v4 continues that trend. The 100v4 is the top of the Studio line and offers full-range sound with bass down to 28 Hz and a sensitivity of 91 dB. Priced at $2,499 per pair, they are likely one of the best values in two-channel or home theater speakers available today.
• Read more floorstanding speaker reviews from HomeTheaterReview.com's staff.
A five-driver three-way design with a one-inch G-PAL tweeter, formerly only found in Paradigms Signature speakers, along with a seven-inch S-PAL midrange and three seven-inch woofers to handle all the low end, the Studio 100v4 is a large speaker at 44 inches tall, 17 inches deep and over eight inches wide. All the drivers are encased in heavy gauge frames and the cabinet is built rock-solidly to minimize cabinet distortion. The back and sides of the speaker can be had in cherry, black or rosenut finish and the two sets of gold-plated binding posts allow for bi-wiring. A front port finishes off the speaker, which sits atop four extending feet that can have either rubber posts or spikes, depending on your desires and flooring.
The Studio 100s command attention whether playing or not, as they are powerful-looking and sounding pieces. Offering true full-range sound for a bargain price, thanks in part to the trickle-down technology from the Signature line, they have a smoother, more extended high end, while maintaining all the solid bass you could ever want. They offer a slightly forward sound, making them very enjoyable for aggressive music and movies.
Read more about the high points, the low points, and a conclusion on Page 2.
• The Studio 100v4s' awesome towering looks command attention, while the full-range sound and solid bass further draw you in while they are playing.
• The Studios offer true full-range performance for less than many monitors and could easily perform on their own without the use of a subwoofer in a two-channel system but, thanks to their exceptional dynamic range, they can perform equally well in a home theater or dual-duty system.
• The build quality of these speakers is far above and beyond what you'd expect for this price point, making them more of a bargain than mere price alone would indicate.
• The simple large tower look might seem mundane to some; you'll need to form your own opinions on their appearance.
• These are large speakers that need a fair amount of room behind them to breathe for the best bass response, so you won't get the best performance from them in small rooms.
The Paradigm Studio 100v4s offer topnotch performance at a price that can be reached by real-world budgets. Paradigm is to be applauded for their use of the highest-quality drivers and for making the entire speaker in-house. The Studio 100v4s offer true full-range sound and awesome dynamics, making them equally at home in two-channel or home theater systems. This speaker outperforms others costing much more and is something you need to listen to if in the market for new speakers.