This week's video series from THX, published here on HomeTheaterReview.com, dives into the basics of three key topics. First is picking the right display or HDTV. This is no easy topic, as there are so many technologies to choose from, ranging from LED/LCD to plasma and other future technologies like OLED and UltraHD (also known as 4K). John Dahl gets into the actual math of how to calculate the best size for your HDTV based on the distance from your primary seating position.
The next short video talks about the various options open to consumers for loudspeakers. THX, being a movie-first company for obvious reasons, puts a lot of emphasis on the importance of the center speaker. This covers all of the different varieties of speakers on the market today, ranging from bookshelf speakers to floor-standing speakers to in-walls and on-walls, as well as the newly popular soundbar. See which form factor THX picked for this 1950s post and beam renovation in the video below.
The last video of this grouping on the basics of home theater is about the almighty subwoofer. While the center speaker is key to reproducing excellent film dialogue, the subwoofer is the speaker responsible for the lowest frequency sound. THX talks about the importance of blending a subwoofer to speakers and shows a very tricky installation option.
• Watch the first two videos in this THX series.
• Read here about LCD vs. plasma from the HomeTheaterReview.com archives.
• Learn how OLED works here.
• Andrew Robinson checks in with preparation notes for those looking to invest early in 4K - now called UltraHD.
• AudiophileReview.com takes a look at the 25 best high-end audiophile speakers ever in this special resource page.
• Read reviews of the best soundbars on the market.
• Read reviews of the top-performing subwoofers on this resource page.