• The KDL-46EX500 uses a traditional CCFL backlight, so its black level will likely not be as deep as you'll find in the better full-array LED-based LCDs with local dimming.
• LCD viewing angles are not as good as you'll find with a plasma TV.
• This TV lacks 3D capability.
• It does not support media streaming or Sony's BRAVIA Internet Video platform, for access to video-on-demand, YouTube and other Web services.
The KDL-46EX500 has an MSRP of $1099.99, but it is available for less than $1,000, which makes it a good value for a 46-inch Sony TV. It doesn't offer all the benefits you get with higher-end Sony models--like LED lighting, a super-slim cabinet, and Web/network access--but it is a 1080p display with four HDMI inputs and the all-important 120Hz technology needed to reduce motion blur in an LCD. It's a solid choice for someone who wants an affordable, 1080p Sony TV that will see a lot of use with sports, action flicks, and gaming content.
• Read many more reviews for LCD HDTVs on from HomeTheaterReview.com.
• Find out more about Sony and its products.
• Buy the Sony KDL-46EX500.