• The THIEL
CS1.6's compact footprint and solid finish make it an easy speaker to live with and integrate into virtually any environment. While the black ash and natural cherry finishes are nice enough, the dark cherry finish, complete with up charge, is probably the look most consumers will go for.
• The CS1.6's ability to be purchased via one of the Internet's largest electronics retailers, Crutchfield, means they're far more accessible then ever before. -though I'm sure some long standing THIEL dealers and fans are probably pissed. • The CS1.6 may just be the perfect speaker to sit down to after a long day at work and simply drift away in front of with a glass of wine thanks to its seductive, slightly calm demeanor.
• The CS1.6 sounds simply superb when mated to tubes, especially Audio Research tube amplifiers and preamps.
• The CS1.6's high frequency performance is good, very airy and natural and never fatiguing.
• The CS1.6's midrange is outright addictive and spot on when it comes to female vocals and small, acoustic ensemble recordings.
• For true, full-range music reproduction you're going to want to mate a sub or two to the CS1.6.
• The CS1.6 is hardly the most dynamic speaker on the block even when powered with the proper components. The CS1.6 lacks a bit of bite and attack other speakers in its class have.
• The CS1.6s are a grown up speaker in that they can play loud but at times you get the feeling they don't want to. Again, this is not a speaker for R&B or heavy metal fans. If you're into Diana Krall, Norah Jones or Eric Clapton's later work the CS1.6 is for you.
For around $2,400 retail the CS1.6 from THIEL is a magnificent achievement and a fine sounding loudspeaker. Its compact and stylish design score points in the wife acceptance arena as well as make it one of the easier speakers to integrate into a true living environment. The CS1.6 can be powered by a wide range of components, making it a great speaker to evolve and experiment with. It acts more like a high quality monitor speaker in terms of its overall sound than a floor standing speaker and possesses one of the most seductive midranges and soundstages you're likely to hear this side of the $5,000. While not the most dynamic or energetic loudspeaker out there today, the CS1.6 is a great speaker to come home and relax to. In today's stress filled world who can ask for anything more?
Read More About THIEL
• Read a story about THIEL speakers being sold at Amazon.
• Read Jim Thiel's obit from September 17, 2009 from HomeTheaterReview.com.
• Read dozens more audiophile floorstanding speaker reviews from the likes of MartinLogan, Bowers & Wilkins, PSB, Paradigm and many others.