THX recently released its first mobile app, THX tune-up, which is now available in the iTunes App Store. THX tune-up is an interactive app that lets the general consumer use an iOS device to adjust their TVs, projectors and speakers, to get the best performance and enjoyment from their entertainment system – regardless of brand and price.
Using specifically custom designed video patterns and audio tests, THX tune-up allows consumers to check that video equipment settings are optimized based on the consumer’s equipment capabilities and lighting environment, and external speakers are working in phase and are connected properly. For instance, color and tint settings are often complicated to adjust properly without special glasses or other unique equipment. THX tune-up uses the iPad or iPhone camera and a special, THX-designed built-in color filter to help consumers easily ensure colors are accurate and skin tones appear natural.
The interactive app provides users step-by-step instructions via narration and text, as well as a detailed guide on how to use all of its features, walking consumers through the following tests:
• Aspect ratio – ensures your TV displays shapes and sizes correctly
• Brightness – makes certain shadow details and night scenes are clearly visible
• Contrast – ensures that white detail is distinct on your television
• Color – make sure colors are bright and vibrant but not overly saturated or cartoonish
• Tint – ensures skin tones appear natural and are not too green or red
• Speaker assignment – ensures that speakers are connected to the correct audio video receiver (AVR) output and intended sound is coming from the correct speaker
• Speaker phase – confirms that positive and negative speaker wires are connected correctly and all speakers are in phase
The THX tune-up app is not intended to provide full calibration capabilities. For home theater enthusiasts, calibrators or installers that want a higher level of control and ability to fine-tune their system, THX has a THX Calibrator Blu-ray Disc which is given to graduates from any THX Education class, and is also available in limited quantities at industry tradeshows and events in which THX participates.
An Apple Digital AV adapter or Lightning Digital AV adapter and HDMI cable, or Apple TV is needed to connect the iPhone or iPad to your system.
THX tune-up now available in the iTunes App Store for $1.99.