• The MX-450 is very easy and intuitive to use compared to other remotes in its class.
• The remote can be quickly and easily programmed without the use of a computer. This is of particular note with respect to programming macros.
• The battery life is very long for a remote with a large color screen.
• The MX-450 really should be programmed by a professional, which almost inevitably adds to the overall cost of the product.
• The programming capabilities of this remote will not accommodate the most complex of systems. You have to go higher in the URC line for more complex systems.
• The MX-450 does not have a motion sensor to trigger the backlight.
Universal Remote Control's MX-450 fulfills the requirements for a relatively inexpensive remote that can easily control the majority of theater systems. While many remotes may be similarly priced, the MX-450 saves you money with simplified programming, which in other units often exceeds the cost of the hardware by a large margin.
While the MX-450 does not have some of the features of its big brother, the MX-980, it has the features necessary to control small to moderate-sized systems with ease. I was particularly impressed by the ease of programming this remote with macros and basic code sets. Even though I have never used this remote before, from the time I started pushing the buttons (yes, after I reviewed the instructional material), I had my simple bedroom system programmed with macros in less than ten minutes. The ability to upgrade the firmware and learn IR codes will make it unlikely that this remote will ever become obsolete. The remote's IR/RF capabilities provide a good deal of flexibility with placement of your system's components.
A universal remote should allow someone unfamiliar with your system to accomplish basic user tasks with ease, while also letting you delve deeper to make system adjustments when needed. The MX-450 does this. I have handed the remote to others who had no problems controlling the system. No fuss, no questions, and more importantly, no frustrated users.Additional Resources
• Read more remotes and system control reviews
by HomeTheaterReview.com's staff.
• Find an AV receiver to pair with the MX-450.