In 1983, David Hall, the founder and chief engineer of Velodyne Acoustics, Inc., introduced a technological breakthrough in subwoofer design that redefined low frequency reproduction. The ULD-18 incorporated a patented, accelerometer based High Gain Servo system to control cone motion. This 120 lb. subwoofer went lower, played louder, was more musical, and had distortion levels 20 to 30 times less than competitive products. Velodyne received the first of dozens of international awards and acknowledgments, the 1984 Special Engineering Award. More ULD Series subwoofers followed, then the acclaimed F, HGS, SPL, DLS, and DD series. Reviewers, music and movie lovers praised Velodyne like no other subwoofers. Velodyne has pushed the limits of subwoofer engineering with other technologies: the Dual Tandem Voice Coil, the Energy Recovery Amplifier and the Digital Drive Room Bass Equalization System.
Today, Velodyne is the leading subwoofer innovator. Velodyne introduced remote controlled subwoofers. We have engineered sophisticated and easy to use digital room bass EQ systems; easily installed in-wall, in-floor and in-room subwoofers; and one-touch Auto-EQ for music, theater and games. Velodyne has a subwoofer for every application. Velodyne holds more patents for subwoofer design than any other vendor. Today Velodyne's twenty-nine subwoofer models, including the world's most accurate subs, the Digital Drive® (DD) Series, set the standard by which other subwoofers are judged. According to Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, "When Velodyne announces a new subwoofer, the earth trembles --- literally."
Concepts and Benefits
Velodyne's exclusive "Total System Design" philosophy means that each component must harmonize with all the others, for maximum performance. Combining "Silicon Valley" space age engineering, close tolerance manufacturing, computer testing and extensive listening evaluations, Velodyne speakers and subwoofers fuse the science, and art, of speaker design.
Flexible and complete feature packages ensure perfect integration with virtually any system. The integrated high quality crossover networks in all Velodyne subwoofers can double a receiver or amplifier's usable power, and even lower the main speakers' distortion levels, when using the "Subwoofer Direct" feature with the LFE output. Velodyne designs crossover parameters for a perfect blend with any system, regardless of speaker size. "What is most striking about the sound is the seamless blend from a smooth, well-articulated bottom end...up." - Audio Video Interiors.
In 2003, Velodyne introduced digitally tuned subwoofers. Applying DSP technology to subwoofers allowed unprecedented accuracy in tuning and long term reliability. Engineering the digital EQs, crossovers, and filters ensures the highest possible performance from our subwoofers. "Anti-clipping" circuits automatically monitor the amplifier, allowing the subwoofer to utilize its full power capacity, for maximum output and minimum distortion. Exclusive "Dynamic-compression" and over-excursion circuits protect Velodyne subwoofers from overload for extraordinary durability. Today, with extensive testing and quality control, Velodyne subwoofers are the most reliable in the world.
Some Company Innovations:
• 1984, Patented the first servo-controlled subwoofer lowering distortion to below 1%, 1984 Special Engineering Award, from CEA
• 1984, Patented the "Sealed Accelerometer"
• 1995, Patented the "Energy Recovery" Class D amp design
• 1995, Introduced the "Subwoofer Direct" feature
• 1995, Developed the "Dual Tandem Voice Coil"
• 1996, Introduced the HGS-10; the first under 12" cube single driver subwoofer
• 1996, Introduced the world's first remote controlled subwoofer
• 1999, Engineered "Current Sensing Servo", awarded the "Design and Engineering Showcase Award" at WCES
• 2003, Introduced the Digital Accelerometer
• 2003, Developed the Digital High Gain Servo system, lowering distortion to less than ½%
• 2003, Introduced the "Patent Pending" Digital Drive Room Equalization System--"Best of 2003 for Subwoofer Technology" from Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
• 2005, Introduced digital, one-touch room bass EQ
• 2006, Introduced SC-IW in-wall subwoofer with "Patent Pending" "T-shaped" driver
Compare Velodyne to a company like SVS.